Woman: Why don’t you try this one on?
Man: Eurgh!1 It looks awful.
Woman: What about this one?
Man: Okay, that one’s a bit better. … So what do you think?
Woman: I like it. It really suits2 you.
Man: It’s not very comfortable. I don’t think it’s a good fit3—it’s too tight around the shoulders.
Woman: So just get the next size up4. It’s a good shirt. It matches5 your shoes, as well.
Man: But even this one’s loose around my chest. If I get a bigger size it’ll be like wearing a tent6.
Woman: What about the trousers?
Man: Are you joking? No man looks good in skinny fit7 jeans. I’d look like a complete idiot.
Woman: But everyone’s wearing them at the moment.
Man: Well, you can be a sheep8 if you want, but I have an original sense of fashion.
Woman: Oh, really? That’s why you’re wearing clothes you bought five years ago.
Man: Looking good never goes out of fashion9. Anyway, let’s go somewhere else. Everything in here is badly-made and overpriced.
Woman: Fine. I need shoes. You can come and help me choose.
Man: Can we not go home?
Woman: We only got here twenty minutes ago!
- Eurgh (pronounced ‘ee-yur’) = a noise you make when you think something is disgusting
- It suits you = it looks good on you
- It fits you = it’s the right size for you
- The next size up = one size bigger
- It matches your shoes = the colours go together well
- A tent = something you use to go camping, like a house you can carry with you
- Skinny fit = very tight
- A sheep = someone who does what everybody else is doing (because sheep all follow each other)
- Go out of fashion = become unfashionable